In this episode, Stephanie brings Leslie Schilling, RDN on the show for a deeper diver into baby led weaning, from a registered dietitian’s perspective.
Leslie shares insights from her book, Born To Eat, which includes age-based advice, step-by-step instructions, help for parents, and easy recipes so you can ensure that your infant is introduced to healthy and tasty food as early as possible.
We dive deeper into the science behind this feeding philosophy–sharing notes from our personal and professional experience. If you’re about to start feeding your little one, are currently feeding your little one and considering this approach, or are a caregiver this is a great listen so you can understand why moms are turning to this style of infant feeding.
- Why she co-authored Born To Eat and how it’s different from other BLW resources
- When to start BLW and evidence behind when to introduce solids
- How to know if your child is eating enough
- Introducing food allergens
- Food allergy and intolerance testing
- Specific nutrient needs at different ages
- If added salt is a problem
- How to implement the principles of BLW at your daycare and with family
- What a typical day of eating looks like for Leslie’s kids
Leslie Schilling’s Bio
Leslie Schilling, MA, RDN is a nationally recognized registered dietitian, sports dietitian, author, and nutrition therapist. Through her years as a nutrition professional, Leslie has practiced in many settings including infant nutrition, general pediatrics, and children with special health care needs. Leslie owns Schilling Nutrition, a Las Vegas-based private nutrition and wellness consulting business. She focuses her practice on counseling young families, those of all ages with disordered eating issues, and professional athletes and performers. With her warm, compassionate, and entertaining personality, she’s been featured in Women’s Health, Self, BuzzFeed, the Huffington Post, USNews, Pregnancy Magazine, The Yoga Journal, HGTV, and more. Leslie the creator and co-author of the book, Born To Eat: Whole, Healthy Foods from Baby’s First Bite.
Enjoy the listen!
- Leslie’s website: LeslieSchilling.com
- Leslie’s book: Born To Eat
- Follow Leslie on Instagram
- Nourish Kids Medicine Kit and Ebook
- Steph’s Healthy Mama, Happy Baby Virtual Pregnancy Handbook
- Dr. Elana’s Medical Center: Nourish Medical Center