In this episode, Stephanie interviews Dr. Daniel Singley, a San Diego-based board-certified psychologist. His research and practice focus on men’s mental health with a particular emphasis on reproductive psychology and the transition to fatherhood. Dr. Daniel Singley shares what the transition to fatherhood looks like for dads/partners, what postpartum depression and anxiety looks like in men, how often it happens, where to go for help, and so much more!
- Dr. Daniel Singley’s story
- What led him to specialize in the treatment of anxiety, stress, and depression as it pertains to couples and new dads
- Expectations and roles that fathers play
- Prevalence of PPD/PPA in dads and how it manifests in males compared to females
- What to do if your partner is suffering
- How men prefer to receive information and support
- Resources for partners who may be struggling
- Action steps for supporting partner’s mental health
- And more!
Dr. Daniel Singley’s Bio
Dr. Daniel Singley is a San Diego-based board certified psychologist and Director of The Center for Men’s Excellence. His research and practice focus on men’s mental health with a particular emphasis on reproductive psychology and the transition to fatherhood. He is Past President of the American Psychological Association’s Section on Positive Psychology and currently serves on the Board of the APA’s Society for the Psychological Study of Men and Masculinity as well as Postpartum Support International. He conducts trainings and presentations around the country to assist individuals and organizations to enhance their level of father inclusiveness and founded the grant-funded Basic Training for New Dads, Inc nonprofit in order to give new fathers the tools they need to be highly engaged with their infants as well as their partners. In his free time, Dr. Singley likes to cook, surf, read, and take his two sons on hikes to get muddy and throw rocks at things. Follow him on social media @MenExcel.
Enjoy the listen!
- Dr. Daniel Singley’s Website The Center for Men’s Excellence
- Basic Training for New Dads class in San Diego
- Resources for new dads and couples
- Postpartum Support International Dad’s Chat
- Padre Cadre app
- Nourish Kids Medicine Kit and Ebook
- Steph’s Healthy Mama, Happy Baby Virtual Pregnancy Handbook
- Dr. Elana’s Medical Center: Nourish Medical Center